- RAM Education is the data controller of the personal information we collect about you (i.e., the entity that determines the means and purposes of collecting, using, and disclosing the personal information), unless you are part of a degree, certain MasterTrack programs, or certain other circumstances as communicated to you, in which case RAM Education is the data processor.
- We collect the personal information set out in the “What Information We Collect” section of this Privacy Notice below, including account registration details such as name and email, details of Content Offerings you undertake, survey information (where you provide it), identity verification data, and information about your use of our site and Services.
- We use your personal information for the purposes set out in the “How We Use the Information” section of this Privacy Notice below, including providing our site and Services to you, ensuring the security and performance of our site, conducting research relating to Content Offerings, sharing information with our Content Providers and our suppliers, direct marketing, and performing statistical analysis of the use of our site and Services.
- You have a number of rights that you can exercise in relation to our use of your personal information, as set out in the “Updating or Deleting Your Personally Identifiable Information” section of this Privacy Notice below.
Who we are
What Information this Privacy Notice Covers
We consider that the legal bases for using your personal information as set out in this Privacy Notice are as follows:
- our use of your personal information is necessary for complying with our legal obligations; or
- use of your personal information is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others. Our legitimate interests are to:
- run, grow and develop our business
- operate our Site and provide our Services
- select appropriately skilled and qualified suppliers
- build relationships with partners and academic institutions
- carry out research and statistical analysis
- carry out marketing and business development
- for internal administrative and auditing purposes.
- consent, to send you certain communications or where you submit certain information to us, or where required to rely upon consent by local law.
Which legal basis applies to a specific activity will depend on the type of personal information used and the context in which it is being used.
This Privacy Notice covers information we collect from you through our Site. Some of our Site’s functionality can be used without revealing any Personal Data, but for features or Services related to the Content Offerings, Personal Data is required. In order to access certain features and benefits on our Site, you may need to submit, or we may collect, “Personal Data” (i.e., information that can be used to identify you and which may also be referred to as “personally identifiable information” or “personal information”). Personal Data can include information such as your name, email address, IP address, and device identifier, among other things. You are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the Personal Data you submit to RAM Education. Inaccurate information may affect your ability to use the Site, the information you receive when using the Site, and our ability to contact you. For example, your email address should be kept current because that is one of the primary manners in which we communicate with you.
If we rely on our (or another party’s) legitimate interests for using your personal information, we will undertake a balancing test to ensure that our (or the other party’s) legitimate interests are not outweighed by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms which require protection of the personal information.
We may process your personal information in some cases for marketing purposes on the basis of your consent (which you may withdraw at any time as described below).
If we rely on your consent for us to use your personal information in a particular way, but you later change your mind, you may withdraw your consent by visiting your profile page and clicking the box to remove consent and we will stop doing so. If you withdraw your consent, this may impact the ability for us to provide some of our Services to you.
What Information We Collect
We gather the following types of information about users through the Site
- Information relating to your use of our Site. When users come to our Site, we may track, collect, and aggregate information indicating, among other things, which pages of our Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks were clicked. We also collect information from the URLs from which you linked to our Site. Collecting such information may involve logging the IP address, operating system, and browser software used by each user of the Site. We may be able to determine from an IP address a user’s Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of their point of connectivity. Location data may be used to route your traffic to the nearest regional server to reduce latency and improve your experience.
- Personal Data provided directly by you or via third parties. We collect Personal Data that you provide to us when you register for an account, update or change information for your account, purchase products or Services, complete a survey, sign-up for email updates, participate in our public forums, send us email messages, and/or participate in Content Offerings or other Services on our Site. We may use the Personal Data that you provide to respond to your questions, provide you the specific Content Offering and/or Services you select, send you updates about Content Offerings or other RAM Education events, and send you email messages about Site maintenance or updates.
- Account Registration. If you register for an account on our Site, you may be required to provide us with certain Personal Data such as your name and email address. You may also voluntarily provide us with additional Personal Data.
- Updates. RAM Education may offer you the ability to receive updates either via email or by posting on portions of the Site only accessible to registered users. In order to subscribe to these Services, you may be required to provide us with Personal Data such as your name and email address.
- Forums. RAM Education may offer public forums from time to time (the “Forums”) where you can share comments and thoughts. In order to participate in the Forums, you may be required to register with us and/or provide us with Personal Data such as your name and email address. Please keep in mind that information you post or make available in Forums will be publicly available. You should not include any personal information or other information of a personal or sensitive nature, whether relating to you or another person, in a Forum post.
- Participation in Content Offerings. RAM Education offers users the opportunity to participate in Content Offerings on or through the Site. If you desire to participate in a Content Offering, you will be asked to provide us with certain information necessary to conduct such a Content Offering. This information may include, among other things, your name and email address.
If you participate in a Content Offering, we may collect certain user-generated content, such as assignments you submit, peer-graded assignments, and peer grading feedback. We also collect course data, such as responses to in-video quizzes, standalone quizzes, exams, and surveys. You should not include any Personal Data or other information of a personal or sensitive nature, whether relating to you or another person, on assignments, exams, or surveys, except for information required to participate in or submit such assignments, exams, or surveys.
- Identity Verification. RAM Education may offer you the ability to verify your identity for select Services. In order to enroll for these Services, you may be required to provide us or our third-party identity verification vendor with Personal Data such as your name, address, date of birth, a headshot taken using a webcam, and a photo identification document. Additionally, if you apply for financial aid in connection with these Services, you may be required to provide information regarding your income.
- Communications with RAM Education. We may receive Personal Data when you send us an email message or otherwise contact us.
- Third Party Sites. We may receive Personal Data when you access or log-in to a third party site, e.g., Facebook, from our Sites. This may include the text and/or images of your Personal Data available from the third party site.
- Surveys. We may receive Personal Data when you provide information in response to a survey operated by us or a Content Provider.
- Partner sites. Partner sites providing Content Offering-related tools and services to RAM Education users may collect nonfinancial individual-level user data regarding the individual’s use of that partner site while the partner sites provide those services to RAM Education. The partner sites may share that data with RAM Education for the purpose of improving our Services, the partner site’s services, and the individual’s education experience. This data includes information such as the amount of time spent on the partner site and pages viewed.
- Third Party Payment Processing. RAM Education provides you with the ability to pay for Content Offerings and other Services using a credit card or other methods through a third party payment processing service provider. Please note that our service provider – not RAM Education – collects and processes your financial information.
How We Use the Information
- Information relating to your use of our Site. We use information relating to your use of the Site to build higher quality, more useful Services by performing statistical analyses of the collective characteristics and behavior of our users, and by measuring demographics and interests regarding specific areas of our Site. We may also use this information to ensure the security of our Services and the Site.
- Personally Identifiable Information provided directly by you or via third parties. Except as set forth in this Privacy Notice or as specifically agreed to by you, RAM Education will not disclose any of your Personal Data. In addition to the other uses set forth in this Privacy Notice, we may disclose and otherwise use Personal Data as described below.
- Providing the Site and our Services. We use Personal Data which you provide to us in order to allow you to access and use the Site and in order to provide any information, products, or Services that you request from us.
- Technical support and security. We may use Personal Data to provide technical support to you, where required, and to ensure the security of our Services and the Site.
- Updates. We use Personal Data collected when you sign-up for our various email or update services to send you the messages in connection with the Site or Content Offerings. We may also archive this information and/or use it for future communications with you, where we are legally entitled to do so.
- Forums. You should not post any personally identifiable information or other information of a personal or sensitive nature, whether relating to you or another person, within a Forum post. If you choose to post personally identifiable information, such personally identifiable information may be collected during your use of the Forums. We may publish this information via extensions of our platform that use third-party services, like mobile applications. We reserve the right to reuse Forum posts that contain personally identifiable information in future versions of the Content Offerings, and to enhance future Content Offerings. We may archive this information and/or use it for future communications with you and/or your designee(s), and/or provide it to the Content Provider, business partners, or the instructor(s) associated with the courses you have taken. We may also use or publish posts submitted on the Forums without using personally identifiable information.
- Identity Verification. For Services that require identity verification, we may use the Personal Data that we collect for verifying your identity, and for authenticating that submissions made on the Site were made by you. This service may be provided through a third-party identity verification vendor. Your photo identification document will be deleted after successful verification of your profile information.
- e-Readers. If we receive any Personal Data related to the extent to which you use designated e-Readers or other devices to access RAM Education materials, we may archive it, and use it for research, business, or other purposes.
Retention of Personally Identifiable Information
We keep your Personal Data for no longer than necessary for the purposes for which the Personal Data is collected and processed. The length of time we retain Personal Data for depends on the purposes for which we collect and use it and/or as required to comply with applicable laws and to establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights.
Confidentiality & Security of Personally Identifiable Information
We will use industry standard physical, technical, and administrative security measures to keep your Personal Data confidential and secure, and will not share it with third parties, except as otherwise provided in this Privacy Notice, or unless such disclosure is necessary in special cases, such as a physical threat to you or others, as permitted by applicable law. Because the Internet is not a 100% secure environment, we cannot guarantee the security of Personal Data, and there is some risk that an unauthorized third party may find a way to circumvent our security systems or that transmission of your information over the Internet will be intercepted. It is your responsibility to protect the security of your login information. Please note that e-mail communications are typically not encrypted and should not be considered secure.
Updating or Deleting Your Personal Data
You have certain rights in relation to your Personal Data. You can access your Personal Data and confirm that it remains correct and up-to-date, choose whether or not you wish to receive material from us or some of our partners, and request that we delete or provide you with a copy of your personal data by logging into the Site, selecting ‘Settings’ from the dropdown in the top right, and scrolling down to find the appropriate option. The ability to delete an account may be disabled for some users, particularly those who are enrolled in for-credit offerings such as degrees, MasterTrack certificate programs, and other similar offerings.
you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
When we use the term “Sensitive Personal Information” in this Privacy Shield Notice, we are referring to a particular subset of an individual’s Personal Information that provides details of his or her race, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership or that concerns his or her health.
The purpose of this Privacy Shield Notice is to outline our general practices for implementing the Principles with respect to the Personal Information we collect. If you would like to obtain additional information regarding our privacy practices in connection with information collected on this website in general, please refer to our online Privacy Notice.
- Choice. We will offer you the opportunity to opt-out of your Personal Information (or to provide explicit consent for Sensitive Personal Information) being: (i) disclosed to a third party (other than a service provider as set forth below); or (ii) used for a purpose materially different from the purpose for which it was originally collected (as set out in our Privacy Notice), or subsequently authorized by you, when the circumstances arise. You also have the ability to opt out at any time from the use of your Personal Information for direct marketing purposes. To exercise this right, please check your settings options